WISER works with girls in rural Kenya to overcome the challenges that threaten their safety, health, and their education. At the WISER Girls Secondary School, we work with girls who come from a community where 75% of girls drop out of school and, before WISER began, a community where no girl had ever gone to college.
When girls first arrive on our campus, they are attempting something special: despite gender-based violence, despite health concerns, despite extreme poverty, they are determined to be among the first in their community to have a high school diploma.
We recognize that this is an amazing dream - and WISER does everything possible to help girls attain it. We provide girls with:
- A fully-residential secondary school for four years at no cost to any student
- Clothing for four years
- Food and clean water
- Textbooks, school supplies, and a fully-stocked library
- Individual psychosocial counselling
- Reproductive health education and sanitary pads
- Leadership training and peer leadership positions
- Access to university-quality science labs, a computer lab, and an organic garden
- And much, much more...
So what has this made possible?
- 100% of WISER girls have graduated
- 90% go on to college or university
- Absolutely 0 girls have ever dropped out
- We currently rank #1 in the region in national exam success
- WISER has cut its students' early pregnancy rate by 93%
With the $3,000 from this project, we can make sure a WISER girl has every single resource we can offer for her final year in school. For many students, getting over the final hurdle requires extra guidance and support. You can help a WISER girl finish strong and take a big step toward a big dream.